In this article, we will review how to import Jira items (tasks, bugs, user stories, features, improvements, etc.) to the PPM Express project as Key Dates.
If you have added a Jira connection to PPM Express and linked the PPM Express project to the Jira project, it is possible to import items from Jira to the PPM Express project as Key Dates.
Please note: Only items with the 'Due date' field filled in can be imported as Key Dates from Jira to PPM Express.
If a Jira item was imported to PPM Express as a Key Date and after this Due date was deleted from the Jira item in Jira, this Key Date will not be automatically deleted from PPM Express Key Dates after data synchronization. A warning will be shown for such Key Date instead, notifying that this item was deleted in Jira (or the item has no dates set).
Please note: Only users who have permission to edit the PPM Express project can import Key Dates.
If the Jira connection is not added and the Jira project is not linked to the PPM Express project yet, then to import Key Dates, it is required to have Manage Integrations and Edit Project permissions.
Importing Jira items as Key Dates
To import items from the Jira project as Key Dates to the PPM Express project, perform the following:
1. Open the PPM Express project linked to the Jira project and where you would like to import Key Dates.
2. Navigate to the Key Dates section of the project and select the Import Key Date option.
If you have any Key Dates added to the project already, then select the Import Key Dates option from the section header.
3. Select Jira in the Connection field.
4. Click on the Search field below. The list of items will start loading at once. However, if you need to find any specific item, you can start typing its name, type, or ID to make the search faster.
5. To select the items you would like to import, just click on them, and they will be added to the list of the selected items. When you are ready with the selection, click Confirm to import the selected items to PPM Express as Key Dates.
If necessary, you can delete the selected items from the list or open them in Jira.
6. As you click the Confirm, the selected items will be added to the Key Dates section.
The statuses, due date, and names for the imported Key Dates are imported from Jira and cannot be changed within PPM Express. If there are any changes to these items in Jira, they will be applied to PPM Express Key Dates after data synchronization automatically. Only internal PPM Express fields and the Key Date type can be edited for the imported Key Dates.
Statuses will be set according to the item due date, taking into account the current date:
- 'Done' will be set for the items that have 'Completed' status in Jira.
- 'Critical' will be set for the items that are late >10 days and not completed.
- 'At risk' will be set for the items that are late <=10 days and not completed.
- 'On Track' will be set for all other cases for the items where the date field is greater than the current date (today).
The items imported as key dates can be opened in Jira from the PPM Express Key Dates section directly by clicking on the Jira icon next to each Key Date.
The Baseline can be set for all PPM Express Key Dates. To set the baseline, select the Key Dates and click the Set Baseline button (the Baseline is created for the Date field).
The Baseline tab becomes available if you open the Key Date for editing.
To remove the Baseline mark from the timeline view, click on the 'Style' option and disable the Show Baseline option.
Deleting Jira items imported as Key Dates
To delete Jira items imported as Key Dates to PPM Express, perform the following:
1. Open PPM Express project where Jira items were imported as Key Dates.
2. Select the Key Dates you need to delete from the list.
3. Click the Delete Key Date button.
4. Confirm that you would like to remove the Key Dates. The selected Key Dates will be deleted at once.
Please note: After data synchronization, the deleted Key Dates will not appear again in the Key Dates section automatically. If you need to add the deleted items again, it will be needed to import them following the steps described in the 'Importing Jira items as Key Dates' section of this article.
If the PPM Express project is linked to Jira and any other system and the Key dates are imported from both systems, then in the Import Key dates window, it will be possible to switch between these systems. Switching between the systems you can add the key dates for each system separately.