How to configure PPM Express Executives Report Pack
In this article we will review how to configure PPM Express Power BI pack for Executives.
Note, that you need a registered Power BI account in the Power BI service.
Before you proceed to the steps below make sure you have the following:
- Computer with an Internet connection.
- PPM Express report pack. Please download it by this link:
PPM Express Executives Report Pack.pbix
This file contains demo data that you can use to review the report and its functionality if needed.
- Registered Power BI account in the Power BI service.
To configure PPM Express Executives Report Pack perform the following:
1. First, it is required to publish or upload the downloaded report to Power BI Service.
Please note: We recommend to create a new workspace for this report and publish/upload it to a newly created workspace or publish/upload this report to the same workspace where the main PPM Express Power BI report is already published.
The report can be added to Power BI Service either using the Power BI Desktop app or via Power BI Service. Please select the way that works better for you:
- Open the downloaded file in Power BI Desktop and publish it. For instructions on how to publish Power BI reports, please refer to Microsoft documentation.
- Open Power BI Service, navigate to the required workspace, select New => Upload a file.
Please note: In this case Power BI Service will add a report to the service and will create an empty Dashboard.
2. After publishing/uploading the report, we need to configure its dataset.
For this purpose, we will open PPM Express => Reporting settings first.
PPM Express has an open protocol that allows querying data - PPM Express OData.
Navigate to the PPM Express Report Settings page. In the Report Settings, you can find OData feed URL – this is a URL link to PPM Express instance OData that you can use to connect to PPM Express OData.
Copy the URL from the OData feed URL field.
3. Open Power BI service, open the Workspace where you have published the report, and navigate to the published dataset, click on the ... icon and choose the Settings.
4. On the Settings for published dataset page, open the Parameters section and paste the OData URL to the PathToPPMX parameter.
ODataFeedsContainAllFields parameter is optional and is used only for cases when it is required to include the custom fields from PPM Express pages to the reports.
Please note: We recommend to leave this parameter empty while configuring your reports in Power BI service in any case. Changes to the report Data Model can only be done in Power BI Desktop. That is why changes in the parameter will only take effect if the needed feeds are provided in the ODataFeedsContainAllFields parameter in Power BI Desktop and the refresh operation is performed in Power BI Desktop. For the detailed instructions on how to include custom fields to the report Data Model please refer to this article.
5. Return to PPM Express Report settings page.
In order to be able to create reports, a password is required. In PPM Express, you can create a token, that can be used as a password.
To create a token for external report perform the following actions:
1. Click Create access token under the OData feed URL.
3. Click Generate Token button;
4. Copy the token.
Make sure you copy the above token now. We don't store it and you will not be able to see it again.
Please note: Once the token is revoked, it cannot be restored.
Copy the created token and switch back to Power BI Settings for PPM Express page.
6. Open the Data source credentials section and click on Edit credentials link, Configure PPM Express Executive Report Pack menu will appear.
7. Paste the token copied from the PPM Express Report settings page to the Password field.
Fill in the User name field with any user name.
Please make sure to select a Basic Authentication method.
8. It is recommended to set up the Automated Data Refresh at once so that the latest data is displayed for the report. For this click Scheduled Refresh in the Settings for PPMX.
In the Keep your data up to date section toggle the switch to On.
You can also choose the Refresh Frequency, Time Zone, and Time when refresh will take place.
Click Apply once you are done.
Also, it is required to launch data synchronization for the report at once, so it starts displaying data for the report. For this purpose, open the Workspace where you have published the report, and navigate to the published dataset, and click the Refresh button.
Please note: If you have received a notification that Power BI Reports were updated by PPM Express Team, you can download the latest version and configure reports once again following the steps in this article, to stay up to date ad use the updated reports.