PPM Express uses default settings to calculate the Jira items and display project progress. Alternatively, you can customize progress calculation.
The Project Progress settings identify which items will be considered when calculating the total number of items and the number of completed items in the project (or its part) synchronized from Jira. This value is displayed under the Jira icon of the Summary project section (completed items/total number of items).
Project Progress calculation is done by specifying issue types and mapping the PPM Express "Progress" field and Jira "Status Category" field for each issue type that needs to be included in the calculation.
PPM Express – Jira project progress mapping prerequisites and limitations:
1. By default, project progress is calculated by Stories. If there are no “Story” issue types in the project, PPM Express will display the progress based on the amount of “Task” issue types. For progress calculation, it is recommended to use work items of the same hierarchy level.
2. By default, all Jira status categories are mapped to PPM Express progress % in the following way:
- To do – 0%
- In Progress – 50%
- Done – 100%
3. Custom progress mapping is applied to Progress in the Summary section and Work Details view in the Cards data representation.
4. Progress mapping is applied per item within one Jira project.
5. Several item types can be selected for progress calculation.
6. Items not selected for progress calculation will not be included in the calculation and will be ignored in external reports.
To set up custom project progress mapping, perform the following:
1. Navigate to Configure Connections menu of the linked/imported project.
2. Use the Configure connection button to open the Configure connection menu.
3. Select item types that need to be included in Project Progress Calculation.
Please note: In case of necessity, several item types can be selected for calculation. In this case, the project progress will be calculated for all selected item types.
There are three options available for progress calculation when the items are selected:
- Elements count
- Sum of Story Points
- Sum of Efforts
For the Sum of Story Points and Sum of Effort calculation, the progress will look like a ratio of the number of Story Points/Effort in issues marked as Closed to the total number of the Story Points/Effort in all issues.
Field mapping is configured for the 'Story Points' and 'Effort' PPM Express fields to be used in the Project Progress calculation.
4. Open the External Item Mapping field and select the first item for mapping.
Please note: If any item is disabled here, it will not be included in the Progress calculation.
5. The Jira Status Category field is mapped with PPM Express Progress % by default.
If there is a need to change the default transformation rules, click the gear button.
Set new values as required.
Please note: Several Status categories can be selected for one PPM Express progress value.
Please note: One Jira category status cannot be mapped with 2 PPM Express progress values.
6. Click Ok and Save Mapping.
If you want to map the PPM Express Progress field and Jira Status field instead of Jira Status Category field, you can do so by mapping these two fields in the 'External Items Mapping' tab for each issue type that needs to be included in the calculation.
Select the item first, then change the Status Category for the Status field and click on the gear button.
Set the transformation rules as required, click Ok, and Save the mapping.
Please note: Progress mapping is done per project, but if a project part (e.g., an Epic) from the same Jira project is linked to another PPM Express project, the mapping will be the same (shared from the full linked project).