How to export/import project tasks to/from .csv file
In this article, we will review how to export/import project tasks to/from .csv file.
For this purpose, we will be using export and import options. The project tasks will be exported to the .csv file format and then this file can be used to import the information from the .csv file to the project tasks page of the required project.
This functionality helps to avoid manual work and just copy over the tasks that are similar for different projects.
Please note: Users who have permissions to view projects can only export the project tasks information to .csv file format. To be able to import this information to a different project, users should have permissions to edit the projects.
To copy the project tasks of one project to another one perform the following:
1. Open the Project Details page of the project where you would like to copy the tasks from.
2. Navigate to the project tasks page, PPM Express tasks section.
3. Select the tasks that you would like to copy over.
Please note: If you select the timeline view for the tasks, only the fields included in the timeline view will be exported to the .csv file.
Please note: Only the selected tasks will be exported to the .csv file.
Only those fields that are included in the project tasks will be exported to the .csv file. If you need to include more fields to the .csv file, it is required to add these fields to the project tasks using the Edit tasks option or using the tasks menu on the right.
4. As the required tasks are selected, click File => Export option to export them to the .csv file.
5. Open the .csv file and check the information there, if required.
Please note: Values in the existing columns of the .csv file can be edited if required. However we do not recommend editing the information in this file as the purpose of this functionality is not editing the data via .csv file, but copying the same information from one project task to another one. If you edit the information in this file, the edited data will be imported to a different project task. However, if you select to import the same file or edited file to the project task where it was exported from initially, duplicated will be created.
Also, if editing the values in the .csv file, it is required to preserve the format used in the columns, as a different format is not supported. For example, if the value is provided as 'At Risk' and will be changed to 'AT RISK' or 'at risk', the changes will not be applied.
6. Open the project task page of the project where you would like to import these tasks.
7. Navigate to the PPM Express tasks section. If it does not have any tasks yet, you may click the Import option at once to start importing the data.
8. If you have project tasks already, select the Import option from the options panel.
9. Select the required csv. file where the tasks were exported on your PC and click Open.
The tasks will be imported to the PPM Express tasks section at once.
The same .csv file can be re-used to copy the tasks of other projects within PPM Express.