This article describes the steps of the project import and project linking from Planner to PPM Express as well as resources import.
In this scenario, we consider that you are importing or linking projects from Planner to PPM Express for the first time.
Linking Planner Plan to PPM Express Project
1. Open the PPM Express project that you would like to link to the Planner plan and press the Link Project button.
2. On the 'Link to Project' tab select the Planner Plan option.
3. PPM Express offers two ways how the connection can be added for Planner: with a regular user account (limited access to Planner plans), or with Admin consent to grant access for the whole tenant. Open the Connection drop-down and select the required option:
4. As the connection is added, you can link the PPM Express project to the Planner plan.
If you would like to link the PPM Express project to an existing Planner plan, choose the 'Select plan' option (is chosen by default), open the Select plan drop-down, and select the required plan from the list.
Please note: If the connection is added using a regular account, no admin consent is granted, only those plans where the connection account is added as a member will be available for importing/linking. Also, the user must open the plan selected for linking in Planner at least once, otherwise, this plan will not appear in the list of available ones in PPM Express. The Planner groups are not available and it is not possible to create a new plan from PPM Express with this connection type.
Check the “Connect to plan group” checkbox in order to link to the plan group as well.
Please note: in case you uncheck the “Connect to plan group” checkbox, you can link the PPM Express project to the plan group later. If you decide to connect to plan group alongside plan linking, find details on available options for group linking here.
Press the Link Plan button to link the selected plan to the PPM Express project.
If you can't find your plan, click on the 'Try to select plan's Office 365 group' button.
In this case, an additional field 'Group' will be added and you can select the required group.
This functionality can be useful for cases when the user that is linking the projects is a member of the selected plan in Planner but has not opened this plan yet.
If the ‘Connect to plan group’ option is disabled, it means that you are using a restricted connection, linking a project using a regular Planner account without an Admin consent.
If you would like to create a new plan in Planner and link it to the PPM Express project, select the 'Create plan' option, type the name of your new plan.
Check the “Connect to plan group” checkbox if you would like to link to the plan group as well.
Press Create plan button to create the plan in Planner and link the newly created plan to the PPM Express project.
Project linking will start immediately.
Importing Plans from Planner
1. On the Portfolios, Programs, Projects, or Resources page select to open Actions drop-down and choose the Import Projects option.
2. On the Import Projects to PPM Express page, choose the source system - Planner.
3. Open the Connection drop-down and select the Grant Permissions option. Once the permissions are granted select the Add new connection option. If you are importing projects using the regular Planner account, select the Add new restricted connection option.
4. As the connection is added, you can import Planner plans to PPM Express.
5. Click on the connection name.
6. On the next step, choose the plans from Planner you want to import into PPM Express by marking the corresponding checkboxes in the list.
Please note: By default PPM Express imports plans using their original names, but you may change the name of any plan you import by clicking on its name in the Name in PPM Express column. This new name will be displayed in PPM Express.
7. Click the Import button.
Depending on the amount of data to process, this operation may need some time. You can see the import progress on the progress tab above the selected Plans.
8. As soon as the plans import is completed, you will see the Already linked status for the linked Plans.
To exit the Import Projects screen, just click on the left part of the page outside the Import Project screen.
First, you will get to the step where you can add another Connection if required. After the first import operation is complete, you can select another Office 365 account to import your Plans from.
If you do not need to import more Plans to PPM Express, click on the left part of the page outside the Import Project screen once again.
Now open one of the projects we have just imported and navigate to the Schedule section either by clicking on the Schedule in the page navigation menu or by scrolling down the page.
This section includes four cards where you can quickly review the tasks statuses, progress, and summary. All the tasks numbers are clickable and open the Planner tasks page in PPM Express filtering out the tasks by the selected value.
You can review tasks synchronized from Planner on a separate Planner tasks page.
Importing Resources from Planner
In a very similar way, you can import your Resources from Planner to PPM Express.
Please note: Some of the resources in the list may have Already linked status. These resources were assigned to the plans you have already imported and thus added to PPM Express automatically.
1. On the Portfolios, Programs, Projects, or Resources page select to open Actions drop-down and choose the Import Resources option.
2. On the Import Resources to PPM Express page, choose the source system - Office 365.
4. As the connection is added, you can import your Resources from Planner to PPM Express.
Click on the connection name.
5. On the next step, select the Resources with New status for import by checking their checkboxes. Click the Import button.
As the import process is completed, you will see Already linked status next to the Resources selected for import.
To exit the Import Resources screen, just double-click on the left part of the page outside the Import Resources screen.
To see the assignments and the number of tasks currently assigned to each of them, navigate to the Team section of the Project. This section also shows tasks planned for this week and late tasks.
To manage your project, use the control panel in the upper right part of the project details page:
- Force sync project. This button allows manually synchronizing your project with the linked item at the source system. If it's grayed out, it means that sync is currently in progress.
- Planner tasks. Opens the Planner tasks page in PPM Express.
- Link Project. Opens Configure connections menu for the current project allowing changing the linked item at the source system or unlinking the project completely.