With the help of PPM Express OData, users are enabled to use the full functionality of custom Power BI reports.
It is possible to create custom Power BI reports on PPM Express data from scratch.
Please note: Before you start creating Custom Power BI reports on PPM Express Data, refer to the Creating Custom Power BI reports: recommended architecture article for the recommended approach that should be selected while creating Custom reports.
In this article, we will describe the example of the creation of the simplest custom Power BI report - a table of PPM Express Portfolios and Projects.
Please note: Before you start working on Power BI reports, open the PPM Express application and follow the steps in this article to copy the URL and Token that need to be provided in Power BI application to extract data from PPM Express.
As you copy the URL and Token from PPM Express 'OData management' page, you can start creating a custom Power BI report.
To create a report that displays Portfolios and Projects data on different pages perform the following steps:
1. Run Power BI Desktop application.
2. Select Edit Queries option to open Power Query Editor.
3. To create Portfolios and Projects queries select the OData feed on the ribbon.
4. Specify PPM Express OData URL (the URL copied previously from PPM Express OData management page).
5. Specify your credentials (a token created and copied in PPM Express previously can be used as a password).
Please note: You can leave the 'User Name' field empty. It is not required when working with PPM Express OData.
6. Select the feeds you are interested in. In this case, they are Portfolios and Projects.
7. Once queries are created, load data into the Model:
8. Now Portfolios and Projects tables are ready for creating report visuals.
9. On the next step perform the following:
- Provide the current report page an appropriate name;
- Create Table visualization by clicking on the “Table” icon at Visualizations pane. An empty visual will appear on the page canvas.
- Specify columns to be displayed in your table by checking corresponding fields on Fields pane.
10. Next, follow the same steps as in paragraph 9 to create Projects page.
Now you can use a report that displays Portfolios and Projects data on different pages.
To get the most out of your data you can use full functionality Power BI provides. Please find more information on Power BI following this link.